Thursday, September 27, 2012

Day 33: Extreme Moab!

Moab is the most extreme place we have ever been.  Extreme sports are everywhere...  desert hiking, whitewater rafting, ATV's, rock climbing, mountain biking, and even canyoneering (whatever that is) are everywhere.  All of the old people at the hotel were wearing action outfits made of quick dry materials, outdoorsy action shoes, and funny hats.  It was a little much for us.

I had heard that there was good fishing in the mountain lakes around Moab, so I decided to check it out.  Kate laid low and went for a run.  

The place I was going was pretty remote.  The scenery on the way was stunning, even when I was lost--maybe especially when I was lost.  The GPS kept trying to take me onto road that didn't exist.  I think it wanted to get into the 'offroading' action that is so popular in Moab...




Desert view on the way out of Moab

View of the previous, from above
Road winding through the mountains
This is not the right road, but gorgeous anyway.
Note the 13000ft snow capped peak poking out behind the nearer mountains.
I think it is La Sal Peak.
 After about 2 hours, I found Hidden Lake.  It was more like a pond, but the fish were clearly hungry.  They were rising regularly, popping their little heads out of the water of jumping fully out to snack on bugs on the surface.

Hidden Lake--elevation 8800ft
12" Rainbow Trout.  I caught his 10" buddy,
but missed one that bit off my fly.
I caught 2 nice trout in less than an hour, which for me is really good fishing. The only downside was that it was 48 degrees, and I actually had to get in the pond up to my waist to land the fish.  After 2, I wasn't sure I wanted to catch the 3rd.

I made it back to Moab for lunch, and we headed out to the Moab Diner.

Hmmm... that Moab Melt looks good...

This was an open faced roast beef sandwich with cheese
and the Diners specialty "Green Chile", called the Moab Melt.
It was awesome (we split one).
We took the rest of the afternoon off, booking a hotel for the next town, answering emails,and the like.  We decided to hit Moab's best rated restaurant for dinner...


Bison tenderloin wrapped in bacon with garlic
mashed potatoes and shallots.  Yummm.
Kate got this chicken dish, which she wasn't as impressed with.

We also shared this Chipotle Caesar salad
with cornbread croutons, which was good.
See, we are eating healthy.
And that was it for day 33.  Tomorrow: the long road to Boulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment